Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kitchen Ceiling and Recessed Lighting

Eamonn again,
Recessed lighting... oh recessed lighting. 
I was all set to get a fixture for the ceiling and be done with the lighting.  Cacky and posse had quite a different view of what was about to happen. Cackys people said that they would not stand for anything less then recessed can lighting in the kitchen.  I was against this as I knew it was require wiring and cutting holes in the plaster ceiling. Also, have I mentioned that I am tired of not having a kitchen??
Luckily Dan Allen comes though once again and brings home a hold saw that cuts just over a 6in hole in the ceiling and mounts to a drill. This saw didn't have teeth on it, it just had what appeared to be a rough edge so it more or less ground away the ceiling rather then trying to cut it with teeth.  Cutting sheet ROCK and plaster with blades sounded like a horrible idea anyway.  This tool is amazing! Don't ever try to cut a hole in old ceilings without it.

Now comes the fun part. This is when I start getting yelled at by my loving wife for not doing enough work on the house. Conveniently this came after $2.50 pint night at Duckworth.....mmmmm


I then decided that it would be a good time to measure out the holes in the ceiling and cut them.  I did a great job measuring and taping off the ceiling myself. I was quite proud of myself and figured that would show Cacky that I was still getting things done. 
That theory went right out the window in the morning when she looked at the holes and said that they were in the wrong places!  AAAHHH, the only thing better then doing work that you were yelled at for not doing is to do it again!
Zander and Melissa were down visiting, Zander and I finally convinced Cacky to leave the lights where they were.... look below and see who had the last vote on that one...

Oh well, cutting a few holes and patching the old ones is nothing compared to the lifetime of crap I would have had to endure every time that light switch was turned on.

We ended up with at total of 6  6in lights in the kitchen, one over the sink, one in the old nook and 4 in the main part of the kitchen.




I would also like to point out just how much sanding above your head sucks on the other hand finally the kitchen is starting to look like a real room!

No comments:

Post a Comment