Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Since the last post was the driveway I see it only fitting that moved on to the new ruined lawn.
I came up with an amazing plan to not have any of the dirt hauled off that was removed from where the driveway is now. Since our back yard was in terrible shape anyway I thought we could just spread all of the dirt over the yard and start again.  This was a terrible idea. North Carolina doesn't have dirt, they have clay and apparently about a billion small rocks per square yard.
Cacky and I decided that we would split this project up and start with the front yard.
Which at the time looked like this.
We had to remove a bunch of this clay as there was just too much there as well as all of the clumps of dirt, grass and rock.
I showed this picture to the head grounds keeper at the stadium who gave me some good advice. He said it's the wrong time of year to plant grass so put as little money into this as possible knowing that you are going to have to redo some of it after the summer.
He suggested I get some top soil (as cheap as possible) with some tall fescue gass seed and a fertilizer with the highest middle number as possible. He said brad doesn't matter.
We took his advice and headed off to our vacation home otherwise known as Home Depot.
We ended up using about 50 40lb bags of top soil for this part of the front yard.  Those bags sure don't go very far.
A few week later we were this far.

It is doing much better then this now. I will have to take another picture to show were it is now.
It's far from perfect as there is some clover in there and bermuda is trying to take it over, but I have decided that as long as it's green I am ok with it.  If there is bermuda in your neighbors yards and you don't like it you either need to make lawn care your new hobby or hire someone to take care of your lawn on a regular basis. I have chosen plan C, ignore it, it's green and eliminated the clay pit that was once there.

The back yard we just haven't had enough time to put into.  I did my best to level it out by hand and we decided at that point to break up the ground a bit and drive to just throw down some seed and fertilizer.
If green stuff grows we will be excited. Cooper will also be excited as he is tired of being covered in orange clay every time it rains.
This is how the back yard was left, I will get some updated photos is any grass grows.
Note, there also were 2 big trees back here that were taken out somewhere along the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment